Thursday, March 20, 2014

Library Story Time

When we first moved to Front Royal, I tried going to the local library's "story time" with Mac and Corrie. It was an overwhelming experience for me in our new town. It seemed like all of the kids were perfectly behaved and quiet, while Mac was laughing and talking excitedly at all of the wrong times, and Corrie was crawling all over the place. I felt so many eyeballs staring at us! I felt like such an unwelcome stranger. At the end of the class, there was a craft activity which included a big tub of crayons sitting in the middle of the table. Mac dumped them and threw them everywhere while I tried to chase Corrie. I had pretty much decided never to return.

Fast forward three years to last Thursday. We had been enduring another round of sickness and winter weather keeping us indoors, and I had finally gotten the kids all packed up to go and visit some friends. Just as we were leaving, my friend sent me a text saying that her whole family was sick. "Awe man!" Here I was with a car full of kids, who were all whining, and nowhere to go. I just started praying and driving. "Where are we going Mommy?!," the kids asked. The only thing I could say was "I don't know guys. Let's see what God has for us today."

I just started driving through town. I got to a stoplight and prayed again, and then I remembered the library. "Well, I guess it's about time we give it another try!" We headed in and had fun picking out books and then headed over to a small children's play area. I was starving and Davey was super cranky. I was just starting to pack up the kids when we ran into a friend from church. She said story time was starting in 5 minutes. "Oh man. Story time?!" I had no idea that we had happened to come at just the right time and day for story time! I wasn't sure how Davey and I would make it, but it sounded like a really great time to try again for Mac and Corrie. We heard the bell ring to signal the start of story time, and we decided to go for it.

In short, Mac and Corrie LOVED it. I was so much more relaxed this time, and the other moms seemed so friendly, even with Davey being a little cranky. I was so thankful to God for how He blessed us and provided for us and for how He changed me. A lady at our church was the teacher and I enjoyed seeing her, too.

Today was story time day again, and we somehow miraculously made it out the door on time for our second week in a row. The theme today was "Toilet Paper Olympics." The kids listened to two books and sang songs.

I sat in the back with Davey, and Mac stole my heart. He would turn around and make eye contact with me at various moments that he thought were funny or cool. He would give me a huge smile and a "thumbs up." It was pretty sweet.

After the songs and stories, the toilet paper games began. The kids measured their height in toilet paper squares (even Davey joined in on that one...he's 8 squares tall), had a relay race, and then competed in the "Toilet Paper Shot Put." As a former PE teacher, I would have liked to have had a moment to teach Mac and Corrie the proper shot put form, but it was pretty cute and funny nonetheless!



God takes such good care of us.

"How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings."
-Psalm 36:7

No comments:

Post a Comment