Thursday, April 24, 2014

I Would Prefer Child Birth to This

That pretty much describes our day yesterday. We survived our first day of a three-day "date vacation," as Ellis calls it, of biking the skyline Drive.

He we are at the entrance to the Drive, just starting out on our adventure and unaware of the challenges we would soon face. 
As we checked in at the park entrance, one of the two park rangers had an ominous look on his face. The weather forecast was calling for really strong winds and very cold temperatures. The other ranger said, "it looks like the wind is in your favor for now!" And the other ranger said, with his ominous expression, "there's nothing in your favor up here." And then he added, be sure not to bike too close together." He explained that the wind was so strong that we would likely be blown over, and he didn't want us to crash into each other. 

And on that fine note, we were off!

Because it is early in the season, there is only one campground and a couple lodges open, so we've had to plan on biking much longer distances than we would like. 

Here is an elevation and mileage map of what we did yesterday. We started from our doorstep in Front Royal (the lowest point on the Drive) and ended at the Skyland Lodge (the highest point on the drive).
Each pedal stroke has to move over 210 lbs. of weight (our bikes, our gear & ourselves). It didn't take long for the pain to set in. Here I was at mile 10, literally unable to stand when we stopped for a short break. I don't remember ever feeling that terrible...and we still had over 30 miles to go. 
 
We biked for about 12 hours yesterday, only stopping for 10 minute breaks because we were unsure if we would make it to the lodge at Skyland by nightfall. 

At one point, the wind was blowing me so hard that I was pretty much going backwards. I decided I could walk faster than than what I was able to pedal, and I got off my bike. A few seconds later, a black bear emerged from the woods 10 feet away from me! If I were on my bike, I probably would have fallen off from the shock. Thankfully, the bear turned around and lumbered back into the woods.

We ended up reaching our destination just as the sun was setting. We were so glad! When we checked into our rooms, the people told us that the winds were 40 mph that day. 

When we reflected on the day together, we remarked how we would never, ever, ever, chose to do a day like that again. But there were definitely times of beautiful scenery and unforgettable memories.


Today's forecast is looking a little better, and much less windy. Our mileage is much better also (about 17 miles and less extreme climbs/elevation changes). Right now we are packing up and getting ready to head for our next stop, which will be a campground. It is currently cloudy and just above freezing. I am hoping that the sun will emerge soon! Who knows what adventure/torture awaits us today. If nothing else, I am sure it will be memorable, as always!



No comments:

Post a Comment