Monday, May 12, 2014

Our Skyline Adventure: The Glorious Conclusion

Ellis whispered to me as he nudged me in my sleeping bag, "Honey. Do you hear that?"  I heard the sound of a light rain drizzling down onto our tent. "We need to get moving," he said.

I looked at my watch: 4:30am. "Oh man!" It the was final morning of our skyline bicycle adventure, and we knew that we had a long and rainy day ahead. I pleaded with Ellis to wait until at least sunrise before trying to get out of our sleeping bags, but he was certain that we needed to start packing up before the real storm hit. "I just think the Lord is telling us that we need to get going," he said.

Ellis got up and started to get the fire going as he cooked some hot oatmeal to warm us up. It took a good 1/2 hour before I was physically able to sit up and start packing up the inside of the tent, but the whole time I was thinking about how thankful I was for the night before when God had prepared my heart and mind to be ready for a challenging morning like this.

Packing up camp and loading the bikes takes quite a while, so it was 7am by the time we began peddling along the Drive for the final day of our journey. There was something really beautiful and special about biking through the mountains at sunrise. What an unexpected, wonderful surprise.

The skies actually cleared and stayed clear for several hours, even though the forecast the night before had called for rain to start early in the morning. We were so glad we started early enough to cover several miles with the sun on our backs, covering us like a warm blanket, as a dear friend would say, on that otherwise chilly morning.

On our last long uphill climb before lunch, we were greeted by a large group of cyclists (men and women) who passed us with lots of friendly smiles and cheers. They all seemed to have accents. I decided they were all from Holland because they sounded like Corrie Ten Boom to me :).

When we got to the top, I stopped at an overlook and took in the incredible view. To the west we could see some big storms beginning to roll in. 

A few minutes later we rounded a bend and the most incredible mountain scene opened up right in front of me. "This is AMAZING!," I said out loud. I was feeling great. We were making great time, and I was pedaling at a good pace as we began to descend down the mountain. About 30 seconds later, I rounded another bend and was hit with a sudden gale that was so powerful my bike came to a complete stop. I began peddling to get my bike moving again, and it was so strange to have to pedal downhill!

A few minutes later we arrived at our lunch stop. The skies had suddenly become very dark and the temperature dropped considerably as we parked our bikes next to the building. 

We walked inside and approached the lunch counter to order our food. I remember the lunch lady asking me for my order...and then I remember just standing there, unable to speak or do anything. I remember Ellis and the lady just staring at me. It was just too mentally challenging for me to make a decision, so I just remember standing there and apologizing. 

Eventually we both got some food and sat down, but I could hardly eat or do anything. I suppose I hit the wall when that wind came upon us, and then I began to think about the foreboding skies outside. I was sinking fast. 

Ellis patiently encouraged me and took every practical action he could think of to make the rest of the trip better for me. I was grateful, but not feeling any better. In the end, I knew I needed to take a few minutes to be alone. 

I excused myself to the restroom and laid my thoughts and feelings out before God. I would say it took about 10 seconds to get it all out because I couldn't think enough to elaborate much. Anyway, God encouraged me again, as He had the night before and earlier that morning. He gently reminded me of what He had been speaking to my heart to the whole trip, and I committed to trusting Him again. I came back to the dining room with the strength I needed to carry on, and a few minutes later we were off again!

Almost immediately, we began feeling rain on backs. We put on our trusty helmet lights and rain jackets and continued onward.

Soon all we could see were clouds all around us. I realize the picture below probably just looks like an overgrown yard, but moments earlier it was a beautiful view of several mountains and a valley. The clouds had begun to cover over everything.

Not long later we were biking through a thick mist. We could not even see five feet in front of us. It was still raining and pretty surreal. 

About 10 miles from the finish line, terrible thunder and lightning began to descend right on top of us. By now we were completely waterlogged. Every pedal stroke was a challenge with my heavy, soaked feet and pants. I was also freezing and losing all feeling in my hands and feet. Well, I had lost feeling long before, but now it was getting mentally difficult because of the lightning and pounding rain.

Ellis stopped and gave me his gloves and anything else that would help me make it through the last few miles. There was no shelter around, and no way out other than to keep peddling and get to our car.

Then, almost as suddenly as it came, the storm seemed to clear up. There was still a ton of mist, but now it was bright because of the sunshine. It was another amazing sight and unexpected experience!

And then before we knew it, we began our final descent to the very end of the Skyline Drive and the glorious conclusion of our three-day adventure. Soon we saw a sign that said "Leaving Shenandoah National Park Skyline Drive." That was also a surreal sight.

By now the weather had completely changed, and we arrived at our car in the midst of a beautiful late afternoon filled with sunshine.

We decided to see if there was an Outback Steakhouse nearby...and there was! Right on our way home! We were pretty psyched about that. We ordered three appetizers, a glass of wine, and two entrees. Normally we order one entree and share it.

And before we knew it, we were back at home again, in the midst of kids and housework and residency and a world away from our experiences in those beautiful blue mountains. 

The adventure was short, but the memories remain. I am sure they will continue to grow more dramatic and lengthy as time passes and I have the opportunity embellish them more with each retelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment