Monday, February 18, 2013

Davey: Doing better!

Little guy is having, in my opinion, a near miraculous recovery! No doubt from all of your heart-felt prayers. Thank you!

Mac and Corrie have been sick with a pretty bad cold, which kept Mac up crying and coughing almost all night on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday night, Davey started to have trouble sleeping.  By Friday morning, little Davey's cry had changed dramatically with lots of wheezing, coughing and gagging. I was really concerned. I have never had a baby get so sick so young before...I was in new territory and did not know what to do. 

Thankfully, we were already scheduled to be at the doctor for my postpartum checkup that morning. Unfortunately, I would have to take all three sick kids along with me...not exactly the kind of ckeck-up you want your three sick little ones to join in on. Well, what could I do? I just loaded the kids in the car and went with it. I said, "Let's do it guys!" and pulled out of the driveway. The kids responded with crying and whining. Oh man. This was going to be interesting. 

When we arrived, God provided! Ellis was able to step out from his surgery rotation for a few minutes to take Mac and Corrie during my exam. (He kept them happy with pringles and beef jerky from his office). The nurses were more than happy to hold Davey for me :)

My checkup took a little longer than we expected, but overall the doctor said I am doing pretty good. However, by the time I got the kids back, they had all hit their limit. Now it was time for Davey's visit. They were able to squeeze us in for an appointment with a new doctor - one of Ellis' favorite colleagues. Too bad we did not give him the best impression! 

I was completely spent from a long, sleepless week with sick kids, and by now Mac was whining about everything, Corrie was sprawled out face-down (and snot-down) on the germ-infested doctor's office floor, and the Dr. was trying to listen Davey's breathing through all of the noise as Mac coughed right in his and Davey's face. "Well, at least no one is eating the paper off of the exam table yet." (Last week I heard a story about a kid doing that). 

The Doctor tried his best to talk really fast and finish the exam as quick as he could. From what I could gather through the crying, Davey had what seemed like a virus called RSV. It could get really serious, but right now it was not too bad. We needed to keep his head elevated, keep the tylenol in his system, and try and keep his airways clear with steamy showers, humidifiers and nose suction bulbs. And, lot's of prayers! 

So, anyway, that was last week and this weekend. But things really started to turn around last night. I went to try and feed Davey before bed, but instead of nursing, he wanted to interact and smile and laugh! What a sweet gift! His breathing sounded sooooo much better. Even though his brother and sister are still sick, he seems almost all the way better (except he still doesn't have his voice back yet...makes his cry sound pretty pitiful, but somehow really sweet in its own way). 







No comments:

Post a Comment