Monday, February 25, 2013

Davey & Mommy Date

Today a lady from church surprised me with a phone call. First of all, the more I get to know this lady, the more she makes me laugh. I do not believe she is trying to be funny - she just IS! I do not believe she even knows why I am laughing a lot of the time, but she laughs along anyway - and that just makes her even funnier to me! Wish you could meet her.

Anyway, she wanted to know if she could come by after work and take Mac & Corrie to her house for an hour or so to play with her grandson. He used to be in daycare, but his mom is no longer working and now he is missing being around other kids. 

"Well, if you are really gonna twist my arm..."

Are you kidding me? Of course I said yes! That is pretty much the witching hour around here, when all things start to fall apart before dinner. Yes, I think I might be able to spare them for an hour for the sake of her poor grandchild. 

Well, first I had to wake up Mac. He actually took a great nap today, and when I went into his room, I saw why. He was sleeping under his slide! 



Once Mac and Corrie were on their way, it was just me and this handsome little man:

                                

Wow. An unexpected evening for me and Davey to spend time together! How should we spend our time? The options seemed endless. We started out with a little laundry (wasn't as fun for Davey as he was in the baby bjorn carrier and it was really hard to bend over to get the clothes out of the washing machine without squashing him). 

Then I looked outside and thought, "You know what? We could go on a walk together!" The thought of being able to just stroll and enjoy the views of our neighborhood in a leisurely fashion sounded pretty amazing, especially since this was the scene the last time I tried to go on a walk:



The whole idea of tying the kids' push toys to ropes seemed like a good idea in my brain...one of those ideas that are great in theory (okay - not so great in theory) but horribly disastrous in real life. 

Our house is at the top of this hill, and it took us about 10 minutes just to get here at the bottom. Corrie's stroller kept tipping over, and you can't tell, but in the picture above, Mac's mouth is wide open because he is screaming at the top of his lungs. No reason, just screaming. Because he is outside and he can. (He screamed so much that some kids started screaming back at him from the house on the right. That's why he is looking back that way in the photo below!)


Anyway, the walk today was glorious. Davey slept sweetly on my chest and I just enjoyed that special time in the early evening when the sun is starting to set and making nice long shadows along the neighborhood. My thoughts turned to the book of Colossians and verses I had memorized a year ago. All of the sudden I just couldn't help thanking God over and over again for such a sweet, refreshing gift today. 

As I rounded the corner of 17th street to head home, I noticed my friend's kids playing outside their house down the street. I hadn't seen this friend in so many months...I haven't seen hardly any of my dear friends here in so many months! Davey and I decided to take a short detour and say hello. My friend invited us in and we had such a nice visit together. 

I headed back home thanking God again. By now the sun was setting, and the views from our hilltop neighborhood were beautiful. Here is the view from the top of our street - just before you get to our house. What a great date. 









No comments:

Post a Comment