Friday, January 17, 2014

That's Dave

Well, I guess baby Davey is growing up. Yesterday he discovered the pure joy of throwing things at the walls (particularly the hard, dangerous items that makes loud crashing sounds). It just seems too early to have to start dealing with that.

I sat down in our brown living room chair a few minutes ago. As soon as I got comfortable, I heard the familiar "squeal of delight followed by splashing." Yep, that's Dave in the toilet again. Do'h! Few things will get me out of my chair faster than that these days.

If I were reading this, I would be thinking, "Seriously? Again? How hard is it to keep a kid out of a toilet?!" Well, my response to that would be: very, very, VERY hard.

But I must admit, even with his half mullet, male-pattern-balding hair, he sure is a cute little guy. Here he is today, being his loud, enthusiastic, playful little self:


A few days ago I decided to move the day bed and trundle up from the basement and give them to Mac and Corrie. For the past several months, Mac has been sleeping on a futon chair at night (he broke his original bed in half...don't ask), and Corrie was still sleeping her crib/toddler bed. 

Another reason I wanted to make the big bed change was because Davey was still sleeping in a pack n' play. Now that Corrie is in a big bed, Dave finally has a crib. I have loved seeing him standing up and waiting for me to come and get him, and something about seeing him in a nice, comfy bed really blesses my heart.

I feel the same way when I walk in to Mac and Corrie's room and and see their nice, big kid beds. Somehow it seems so much more like a cozy room now. I realize most kids in the world sleep on the ground, and I have been thanking God a lot for blessing us with such luxuries right now. 

I was pretty uneasy at first about moving Mac and Corrie to these particular big beds because they are super springy and bouncy. I imaged them flying off of the beds and landing all over the room (not that that's any different than what we had before). 

What a pleasant surprise it has been! (So far). The kids seem in awe of the big beds and have been careful not to jump on them. They wanted to spend the whole day laying in the beds and playing games on them, reading books on them, playing with legos on them, etc. When the sun went down, we turned off the lights and found flashlights. We spent at least a good hour singing songs, telling jokes, and basically just running in circles while yelling into the flashlights (that last activity was just the kids). 

Another new development in our family life has been the sad passing of Corrie's fish, Dori. That fish somehow managed to stay alive for almost two years in this crazy place. Corrie has since gotten a new fish, whom she has affectionately named, "Slimy Doo-Doo." 

So here is the line-up of fish on our table in the living room. From left to right, the fish we have are: Slimy Doo-Doo, Angry Bird Yellow Fish, Pinky-Pie Fish, and Otto. (The two fish in the middle are fake, but I am not really sure whether Mac realizes that or not).

So, I guess that's what's going on around here. Kids grow up, pets come and go, and we run around in the dark yelling into flashlights. It's a pretty good place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment