Sunday, February 16, 2014

Craziness

Wednesday morning I debated whether or not to try and bundle all of the kids up to go to the store. I wondered, "how long can we really last without milk?" Then I got a text from a friend: "We are getting ready to go grocery shopping before the storm hits! What are you guys up to?"

What? Another winter storm?! My friend said she heard it was going to be 10-14 inches, and that just sounded ridiculous to me. It was a little hard to believe that we could be getting snow again, but it did seem like we should go to the store. Unfortunately, it was one of those mornings when it was just impossible to get out the door. Just as we were about to load up in the car, Mac and Corrie came running down the hall, laughing and saying, "Davey has a mustache! Ha Ha!" 

Apparently, Davey got into some markers while I was helping Mac and Corrie get their coats on. Even worse: it appeared Mac and Corrie had decided they wanted "mustaches" just like Davey's. At that point, I just threw up my hands and loaded them into the car, mustaches and all. I thought, "At least we are in Front Royal." If we end up having to move, I am really going to miss having a WalMart in town with such low personal hygiene standards. 

 
(It should be a crime to take such a beautiful little girl out in public like this. I am guilty!)
When we got to WalMart, there was no bread on the shelves (typical for Front Royal even when there is not a snow storm) and it was crowded. I ran into a lady from our church, and in the course of our small talk she couldn't hold back her shock when I told her I had just found out about the big storm. Then she looked at the kids, mustaches and all, and a look of understanding came across her face. 

The shopping adventure was actually totally fine, and I had a sweet view of little "Mustache D" as I pushed him around in his carseat/stroller.

That night and all day Thursday we had tons of snow! At least 2 feet of it. One thing about having that much snow is that you can just plop your 1-year-old down in it and leave him there in his own personal "snow seat." 

Ellis had worked through the night in the hospital on Wednesday, and he was able to make it safely home Thursday afternoon. It was wonderful for us all to enjoy the snowy afternoon and evening together. 

Ellis taught Mac how to shovel snow, and Mac loved it. Corrie enjoyed sitting in her little "bird sled" and Davey just sat in his "snow seat."  

Although the "bird sled" is actually an infant sled, we managed to squeeze both Corrie and Davey in there for a family walk. They were cozy, contorted, and surprisingly content!

While Corrie and Davey rode in the "sled," Mac decided to shovel the whole neighborhood. We definitely had some curious looks from neighbors as we trudged around the block. For me, it went by way too fast. The setting sun with the snow falling all around the pine trees was so beautiful, and I loved it very much.
We decided to keep going past our house for a little longer walk. Davey sang us all a sweet little song :)

The next day the weather really warmed up. I put Davey inside for a nap and I was surprised to see that Mac and Corrie had devised their own snowball throwing machine!







No comments:

Post a Comment