Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A series of unfortunate events...

I am pretty sure any parent with a blog could create a post with this title. In fact, I have read a few good ones lately. Well, after the events of the other day, I just couldn't help joining in.

It all started about 7am, when I heard a stirring in Mac's room. I found him standing up on the edge of his bed, naked, and peeing all over his bed, books, carpet and toys. "Holy Cow! Stop!!!!" Unfortunately, he did not. (They say you are not supposed to give spankings when potty training, but I decided this was an exception).

I started to clean Mac, strip the bed, get some clean underwear, and was starting to clean up the rest of the room when we heard Corrie stirring.

"Alright Corrie girl, sit here at the table and eat some cereal while your brother and I clean up a big mess!"

As I was soaking up puddles off of various book/toys and deciding what to just plain toss in the trash, I heard a sound from the kitchen. "Oh man! Corrie!" An entire bowl of cereal was all over her lap, the floor, and the chair. Corrie's response: "More milk, please?"

Things get a little blurry after that, but as far I can remember, I gave Mac some cereal and then Kelly called. We started talking and before I knew it, Mac was no longer at the table, but was walking by with the dustpan saying, "I clean it up momma." I remember thinking, "Wait...Clean it up?"


I looked in the living room and saw a trail of poop going from the coffee table to the bathroom up to the toilet. Oh man. "Uh, Kelly, I gotta go!"

By now Corrie was down from the table and was begging for her turn with the "shovel" (the dustpan), so she could shovel the poop too. Good thing I learned a lot of boxing out skills from sports, because I had to keep both kids away from the mess long enough to shut Corrie in her room. I got the mess cleaned and the floor disinfected, and went to rescue Corrie (very upset from being trapped in her room).

When I went to get her, this is what I saw:

  

She had totally covered her legs and feet with pen stripes! She looked up at me like, "what? did I do something?"

About that time I heard a splash, and a "help mommy!" What in the world? I ran to bathroom to find that Mac had literally fallen in the toilet bowl. He was covered in the water and there were smears from his still un-wiped (oops...forgot to do that in the confusion) bottom all over the toilet. Why was he even on the toilet at this point?

So, after getting Mac in the tub, cleaning the bathroom, and remembering I still hadn't finished cleaning the original mess from Mac's room, I resigned to plopping both kids on the couch and turned on a movie.

I came back to see that Mac had gotten a box of graham crackers and the kids were enjoying crunching into them and crumbling them everywhere all over the couch.

Are you kidding me? You know, at that point, what can you do. I got the grahams back into the kitchen, and started to try and vacuum. Wish I could say that went well, but another poop incident and broken picture frame later...and we were ready for an early nap.

I am just thanking the Lord these kids can't tell time yet.

And you know, in the midst of my cleaning, I was thinking about how the day will come when sweet little Mac and Corrie will find themselves in messy situations that I can't just wipe up clorox. My heart will be breaking for them, and I will be on my knees praying. Much easier to be on my knees scrubbing the floor while I have happy kids sitting in the other room. This is a sweet season, even if it is a little on exhausting side!



2 comments:

  1. This definitely takes the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Amanda I was literally laughing out loud...not because I just couldn't imagine it but because I could sooooooo relate and just as you said I just wouldn't want it any other way!! Your kids are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete