Monday, July 16, 2012

We just love it

We do. We really do.

Any time we get a chance to visit our old stomping grounds in Durham, and especially when we get to spend time with the Rockes (our "buddies," as Mac would say), we really love it.

We have even developed our own little traditions for the trip from VA to NC. For example, our favorite Rest Stop...the one just over the border in NC. It has a bunch of tree stumps everywhere that the kids love to climb on. This last trip was the first time they were old enough to have some independence on those stumps. It was really fun.

This was the stump of choice for this trip. The kids took turns standing it on and jumping off. Well, Mac was able to actually jump. Corrie pretty much just stood there and looked cute in her travel outfit (she picked it out...can you tell?) and then walked off of the stump with her best imitation of what a jump would look like if she knew how to do it.
Here is Mac in action. I said, "Nice jump Mac!" He said, "Mommy I not jumping I flying! I am a SPACE RANGER!"
Corrie is happy and looking cute.


And once we got to NC, we had a lot of fun doing our usual activities:


Eatin' snacks at the neighborhood park...a favorite place for me and Kelly to take the kids (mostly because of the fact that it is entirely fenced in, and we can generally sit and visit with each other without having to worry about anyone escaping!)


And the kids were loving being able to climb. Not pictured here is Jack, the best climber of them all! Kelly was about to get a really good picture of him showing off one of his climbing tricks, but he fell right when she went to take the picture. Darn!

And we can't forget the Museum of Life and Science!
 Our little herd has grown since the times we used to go with just Cal, Mac and Caleb Sui. 

And I had a really special treat on Wednesday and Thursday afternoon. While Kelly was tutoring, I was on kid duty, and more importantly, Luke duty :)  Shortly after Kelly left, I heard a sweet little newborn cry coming from Luke's direction. When I went to check on him, I picked him up and he just snuggled so sweetly right into my chest! I could hardly hardly hold back the tears that came immediately to my eyes. This little one will melt your heart for sure.


  

Another special treat was watching Mac and Corrie interact with Luke. I have been wondering what they will think of their new brother or sister when the new baby arrives. Corrie loved to sit by Luke in his bouncy seat and watch him, and Mac was very sensitive to Luke whenever he heard him crying. I expected either complete non-interest, or a lot of dangerous interaction (I am sure there will be plenty of that eventually...well, there was one dangerous interaction, but we'll talk about that another time). At least for now, it was nice to see such kind interactions between the three of them.

 

We were pretty sad to leave on Friday, but at least Kelly and I got to splurge on on our traditional trip to Starbucks, and the Lord really blessed our drive home. I was surprised by how much me and Mac and Corrie were enjoying being together, and the time passed by quickly. 

Probably my favorite thing was when we stopped at the Wawa gas station to get Daddy his favorite treats. I was wondering how in the world I was going to keep both kids from touching the walls in the bathroom when I had to go in there. Normally I can swing it pretty well as long as we can get in the handicap stall...but this time there was a lady in there forever! Darn! Let's just say I had to be really creative in that tiny little disgusting normal-size stall. Any mom will know what sort of lengths of creativity I am talking about. And I was also wondering how I was going to keep the kids from running wild in the store after being cooped up in the car for 3 hours. What a pleasant surprise it was to overhear this conversation:

Mac: "Corrie, hold my hand."
Corrie: "Gank You!"
Mac: "Ya welcome!"

The two of them followed me happily through the store the whole time, holding hands! (That was the first time they have ever done that).


And Kelly, I just want to tell you thank you so much for inviting the Johns' Circus down to stay with you this past week.  We know it was not as restful as your prior few weeks had been (is that an understatement or what?) Hey, staying up late, getting up early, having kids throwing up in the middle of night...all totally worth it. Your friendship is such a gift...one that blesses our whole family. Can't wait to see you guys again! 



No comments:

Post a Comment