Saturday, June 8, 2013

Just Right

This Memorial Day weekend it was that time of year again: The annual church family campout. We such had an uneventful, restful camping experience last year that of course we were overwhelmed with enthusiasm to go again this year. As sarcastic as I am being, I think Ellis actually remembered our experience that way! So when the church announced the dates for the campout this year, he was super excited for us to go. 

Before we knew it, the campout weekend was upon us, and I was very skeptical about how it would all turn out. Our days leading up to the weekend were very busy and tiring, and I knew it would be a stretch for us to spend another crazy, sleepless night in a tent together - especially with the addition of a 5-month-old to the mix. Oh, and the other minor detail: we still needed to find a tent.

If there is one thing God has taught me recently, it is that He has placed Ellis as our family's leader. So, when Saturday morning rolled around, I explained my reservations about spending the night and waited to hear what Ellis was thinking. 

Ellis said, "You look exhausted...so am I. I am thinking we stay home and rest today. How about I take the kids and give you a chance to rest, and I will work on things tonight that I have to get done. Let's try and make it to the service tomorrow (Sunday) at the campsite and just make a day of it."

Wow! Ellis' decision ended up blessing our family so much. Saturday ended up being such a restful and wonderful day at home (a rarity for all of us to be together for a whole day during this season of our lives). When Sunday morning rolled around, we hopped in the car and headed out. (And it felt awesome not having to do much packing!)

We arrived at the campground and were greeted with the happy smiling faces of our friends. "Would you guys like some bacon and eggs?" Heck, yeah! How did they know we were hungry? I hadn't been to the grocery store in a while and our breakfast had been a little scant. What a great way to start the visit! :)

Soon after our arrival, people began to gather in the field for the worship service. Some of our friends had a cute little set of camp chairs for Mac and Corrie to share:
I left for a few minutes to tend to Davey, and when I returned here was the scene: Good old fashioned praise and worship. Just a guitar and voices and God's glory surrounding us in His creation.
It was so enjoyable singing with Davey in my arms:

After the service was over, a spontaneous soccer game began to form in the big field. I think I have played soccer a total of three times in the last five or six years, and I prepared myself to watch on the sidelines again with a couple babies on my hips...but God had other plans!

Some friends who had a camper said, "Does Davey want a nap? I'll keep an eye on him for you in the camper if you want to play." What? Seriously?!!! Yay!
While Davey napped, Daddy, Mommy and Mac played soccer with the rest of the gang. Ellis and I took turns holding onto Mac as it wasn't quite safe for him to be playing with so many bigger kids, and he really wanted to be out on the field with everyone. He LOVED being carried around, especially when we got the ball and ran together. Talk about a handicap! I am not sure it was any safer for Mac to hitch a ride with us, as we both fell trying to dribble around people with Mac on our hips. You can't see where you are going and your center of gravity is totally off! Of course, falling just made it even more awesome in Mac's book.

As I stood out on the field and watched everyone playing, I felt my heart was bursting with thanks to God: "This is the best surprise present ever! Thank you God!" I also couldn't help but consider that just several months ago, I was in constant pain and often could hardly even walk. At that time, it was hard to imagine ever being able to run and play again. I am so grateful.
And one of my favorite scenes of the day: Corrie chilling on the sideline, eating chips out of the camp chair and drinking water while we all played. It was really cute :)
After the game was over, Mac and His friend Camden played with a caterpillar:
And then "the guys" all hiked through the woods down to the fishin' hole. Mac got to ride with Mr. Hank - our pastor's son-in-law and one of Mac's most favorite people. For the longest time, Mac would call Mr. Hank a giant, a robot, or a superhero (depending on the day) because Hank is so tall and fun.
The manly hike down to the pond:
Meanwhile, Davey woke up and Corrie took her turn napping in the camper. 

Before we knew it, the day was coming to a close and it was time to head back home again. And our last little kiddo finally took his turn to nap! All in all a pretty sweet day...it was just right. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment