Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sick and tired...but encouraged

You know, it's been a long time since I (Amanda) have been really sick. This past week the kids and I have come down with a cold, and it's been hitting me really hard. To put it plainly: I am sick and tired...even miserable at times.

But I am encouraged. Would you believe that the two days that I have felt the worst, Ellis was unexpectedly given off early from work? Never happens. One of the days, Ellis said he was just talking with the nurses about me and the kids, and his Attending (who didn't even know I was sick) said, "you, know, it's a little slow here, go home and be with your family." Never happens!

And the next day he got off early to participate in the new resident orientation (wasn't originally part of his schedule). Two days in a row that Ellis got to come home before the kids were in bed and spend time playing with them and eating dinner with us. Couldn't have picked a better two days!

The view from my bedroom window: Ellis and the kids playing outside 
while I get to rest and enjoy writing about these wonderful blessings.

Something else that has been a wonderful encouragement to me is the garden in our backyard. I planted a bunch of seeds in early May...pretty much just thinking "Hey, we'll see what happens!" Then, when I realized what our soil was like (hard, dry clay), I thought the whole garden idea was pretty much a lost cause. "Darn! I really should have prepared the soil better!"  

I realized at that moment that the garden wasn't really even mine to begin with, but God's. He is the one who really makes things grow and He is the one who allows them to wither away. You can imagine how encouraging it was for me to go out yesterday evening and pick our first little harvest:

Our first "harvest." Baby zucchini's and zucchini blossoms.

And fresh parsley to add to our chicken soup!

Mac and Corrie have been particularly sweet (aside from the general "sick" stuff like crying and extra tantrums and not sleeping). Yesterday morning, Mac went to his room and brought out his pillow and blanket. 

Mac is saying, "Corrie! Get your pillow!
Lay down with your blanket!"
Next thing I knew, he had dragged his mattress down the hall too. He went and found a pillow and blanket for Corrie and asked me to get Corrie's bed too. He got some of his favorite books so we could all have a little rest together out in the living room. You know, it was really fun. And it was really sweet.

Of course, Corrie just wanted to jump around on her bed, and she despised having any pillows or blankets on her mattress. But it was still a pretty relaxing time for me and Mac :).


And, another exciting thing that cannot go unmentioned (don't make fun of me for this), is that yesterday I located a Vernor's Ginger Ale Vendor in Virginia! Ever since I accidentally drank Dan Rocke's only can of Vernor's several months ago (sorry Dan...not really!), I have been dreaming of it every time I feel sick. I was sure I would have to drive to NC to taste it again, but it turns out there is a place that sells Vernor's an hour away from here in Manassas, Va...which turns out to be exactly where Ellis has been assigned to work right now! Yes! 


I know the Lord is working in our hearts and continuing to bring His life to our family. And He is encouraging me in such sweet ways right now...when I feel so horrible physically. Just knowing Him and having a heart that has grown more sensitive to Him is enough - more than enough. He hasn't had to give me these blessings these past few days, but He has. And I am so thankful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment