Sunday, August 26, 2012

Haircuts

Why is it that haircuts are the hardest thing to get done around here? I finally got a haircut after about a year (thanks Grandma Belding!) and it feels awesome. Ellis' hair is kind of nice because I can just cut that outside in our yard (it's the Front Royal way!), and I figure that since Corrie is a girl, we can let those lovely little locks grow for a while (hopefully her natural mullet will transform as she gets older).

But then there's Mac. Why is his hair the hardest to get cut? I used to just buzz it, but the buzzer scares him to death (it's a little loud since one of the screws came permanently loose after it fell a couple of times), and besides, his red hair is so nice to have a little longer.

Well, after enough hints being dropped about him needing a haircut, and me trying to get him to the walmart hair salon for a few months, we finally made it! Goodbye beach bum hair and natural rat tail. You looked pretty cute on this little guy, but I guess it was time to go anyway.


The morning that we left to get his haircut was pretty funny. I told Mac he was going to get a haircut and he had all kinds of interesting reasons why he simply could not. For example,

"Mommy, I cannot get a haircut. The haircut is too big for my head! I think daddy would like one instead."

When I finally had him in the haircutting chair, he immediately started with the screaming and crying routine. I assured the young stylist that he was faking it and asked her to just start cutting. Things went better when I asked her to turn him around so he couldn't see himself in the mirror. Apparently it was very entertaining to see how dramatic he could make himself look.

Corrie, of course, sat in the shopping cart the whole time, sweetly taking in the scene.

At one point, Mac's face and hands were covered in his freshly cut hair. He said to the lady,

"You are making my hair get broken down!"

And then he sad in a sad, soft voice, "I cry when I see the pieces."

At one point he got some hair in his mouth, and he tried to get it out with his hair-covered hands. Pretty soon he had an entire mouth full of tiny haircut pieces. This scene was also dramatic. I asked the lady to give us a wet towel and I just kept having him lick it over and over again to try to get the hair off of his tongue.

Well, eventually we were done and Mac even got to pick out a special snack. He chose, in his words, "the Mr. Twisties," (actually Cheetos cheese curls). Once we got home and started playing outside and eating, he forgot about the whole haircut thing.

 

Hey Mac, we just want you to know that no matter what kind of hair style you have, you are a pretty special little guy to us!



1 comment: