Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Thanks, Dr. Rocke

This morning was one of those "series of unfortunate events" kind of mornings. I will spare you all of the details, but I will say that I came inside this morning after spending time alone on our front porch, and I realized Davey was up and crying.

I went into his room and immediately knew that he had finally become "un-stopped" (it had been at least a week since the last bowel movement). You don't even need me to try and describe that. Just as I was getting him on the changing table, I noticed that Mac was also crying...more like whimpering.

When I went to check on him, he was holding his nose with one hand, and a rectal thermometer with the other hand.

I'll let that mental picture sink in.

Then, he told me that there was a lego stuck in his nose, and he tried to get it out with the thermometer, but it wasn't working. "Really?!!!"

That's when Corrie came around the corner and announced that she had thrown her diaper in the trash and needed a new one. About then I heard our front door open...a friend had just come in and was waiting for us to help drop off her car at the service center by 8:00am.

I remembered one time when Calvin got a stick stuck in his nose and he needed to try and blow the stick out somehow. I tried to have Mac blow his nose, but he just kept sucking in air as hard as he could through his nose!

That's when I texted Kelly: "Any chance Dan is home?" (He's an ENT). She called back: Nope. He wasn't home, but thankfully our consultation with Kelly saved the day! She said to lay Mac down, close the unblocked nostril, and breathe into Mac's mouth like I would if I were giving him CPR.

I got underwear on Corrie, a clean diaper on Davey, and had Mac lay down on the floor. I could tell he was so scared! So was I! I prayed and asked Jesus to help Mac and show me how to do this crazy CPR thing. I knew I probably only had one shot at it, so I gave it my best!

Whew! That little lego shot right on out of there! Can you belive it? Phew. I was so thankful, on many different levels.
The lego. According to Mac, it was a piece of "Optimus Prime."
The main thing on my mind was that today was Mac's second day of vacation Bible school, and if we had to go to the ER, he would miss the class. He was complaining and did not want to go, even though he had fun yesterday, and I knew it was really important for him to go back again even though he was a little scared.

We made it just in time to Mac's VBS after dropping off our friend, but it was a giant effort trying to get him to stay. I was eventually able to leave (with Corrie and a naked Davey, in the pouring rain) and I prayed that Jesus would be real to Mac today.

When we came to pick him up, Mac had the tell-tale red mustache of the classic sugary punch sunday school drink, and he was laughing and happy. I asked him what he did, and he went on and on about the "funny puppet show."

I was so grateful that God granted Mac the morning with Him at VBS. Corrie and I had such a sweet time together, just the two of us, while Davey slept. So rare and so needed...such a gift.

Thank you, God! And thank you, Dr. Kelly Rocke, ENT!

1 comment: