Thursday, August 15, 2013

Corrie Ruth Johns

A few weeks ago, I started asking the kids what they are thankful for as they color their pictures during our snack time Bible study. It's been so funny and endearing to write down the things that they say. I have enjoyed looking at the wall every once in a while and reading all of the things that they have been thankful for.

The other day, we learned about Jesus calling the disciples to be fishers of men. Corrie was very concerned about the number of fish that they caught (she just watched a movie about the ocean and the dangers of human fishing nets/overfishing). I also wondered: what kind of mental picture are these kids imagining when Jesus says that now the disciples will go fishing for men?

When I asked the kids what they were thankful for, Corrie had much to say!

"I am thankful for my backpack and for crayons and yogurt drinks. And I like cottage cheese too. And I am thankful for eating chicken and for coloring. And I am thankful for playing with Davey. And I am thankful for playing and looking at ladybugs. And I am thankful for putting them down in the grass. And I am thankful for looking at Jesus' friends in the fiery furnace (looking at the pictures of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego that she and Mac colored earlier)."

I recorded Corrie's words on her paper, and then I asked Mac what he was thankful for that day. Can you tell from the picture below that his answer was a little shorter?

"I am thankful for my new super mater monster truck movie!!!" 

(Try to imagine the love and vigor with which he shouted that statement). I thought that comment was funny, as he's had that movie for at least a year. That's Mac :)

And something else about Corrie Johns: she is such an artist at heart. This morning she asked me to fill up a cup with water when she was outside playing. She used it to turn her sidewalk chalk into finger paint and "paint" murals in various places.
Oh, and another thing about Corrie: she gets really, really silly and delirious when she is tired.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to add that I don't want to forget: Everynight at bedtime, the kids ask for me to sing them a song. For at least two or three months, when I say, "Okay Corrie, what song would you like me to sing?," she says "SpiderMam!" (I guess she is picking the feminine version of the superhero?) 

The funny thing about it is that I don't know the SpiderMan song, so I just sing the words, "SpiderMan, SpiderMan, Radioactive SpiderMan" over and over again until I decide to stop singing and tickle and kiss her. I always start singing it slowly, and she always excitedly requests, "faster, faster!" and then I sing it so fast you can't even make out the words I am singing. I am sure this will eventually get old, but right now it's sweet and I am glad to have the memory with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment