Saturday, August 24, 2013

"Burnin' Rubber!!!"

Yesterday evening we took the kids to the local Japanese Steak House for dinner on the Residency's dime. We discovered about a year ago that any time there is a prospective applicant in town who needs to be "wined and dined," we have the chance to eat food we could never normally afford. And, if we bring the kids, we can order kid's meals for both of them and take home their leftovers, too!

As we waited for our guest to arrive at the restaurant, the kids played and ran up and down the sidewalk. At one point, a man walked by as Mac was performing his signature pre-running routine, where he runs in place passionately like the roadrunner before taking off. The man yelled, in the loudest, most enthusiastic country/mountain-folk voice, "Burnin' Rubber!!!"

The dinner was delicious...Mac loved the fire, and He and Corrie figured out how to eat with the chopsticks. 
Poor Davey was so tired because it was past his bedtime. I held him close to me and leaned in close to his sweet little ears and sang to him. "My little Davey Dave, Davey, Davey, Dave..." He began to relax and lay on my chest as he chewed on a soup spoon. "What a precious gift this little boy is! Thank you, thank you God!" My heart was so full in that moment. (Of course, the next moment Mac threw a set of chopsticks at the table next to us and Corrie screamed because her steak bite fell on the ground).

A few other notable memories of late:
We got to visit Ames and Jer in PA, and the kids had a blast playing with Ryan and doing so many things for the first time like rollerskating, driving an ATV, etc.
 

We also got to visit Grandma and Grandpa Vetterlein this week. Davey got to ride in a cart for the first time and he loved, loved, loved it. 
 
Reminded me of the first time Corrie rode in a cart. Seemed like just yesterday.
My dad was able to get home from work early enough to see us before we had to go home. I love my dad so much. Seeing him with the kids is such a pleasure, especially watching him with little D.

More and more I find my heart spontaneously bursting with inexpressable love and gratefulness to God during the day. This a new experience for me, and all I can do is say "I love You! I just love You so much." And I just keep thanking Him again an again. 

Thank you, God, for giving us these memories together, but most of all, thank you for being who You Are. You are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment