Tuesday, September 17, 2013

And that's why I won't you let you fly...

A few weeks ago, we were just having one of those mornings...the ones where you look at the clock and think, "7:45am?!!! Seriously...it's only 7:45?" 

Well, things are a little foggy by now, but I do remember looking at the clock, and then hearing a loud THUD come from Mac's room...and then I heard a loud cry. It was the type of tone that immediately sends any mom on high alert. A few seconds later Mac was in my arms and bawling.

I had sent Mac to his room for a "time out," and instead of sitting on his bed, he apparently got up on his play table and tried to "fly" off of it onto the floor. Yep. Totally face planted right into the rug. Do you know that he has actually said to me numerous times, "But Moooommmy! WHY won't you let me fly?!!" I don't think I'll be getting that question anymore.

I took a look at his face and saw blood coming from his nose and his mouth. Things were already getting pretty swollen, so I just held him for a few minutes and prayed with him while I waited for him to calm down. I knew I needed to get a good look in that mouth. 

From all my years of sports and working at summer camps, I have seen my fair share of injuries. So when Mac came running into the kitchen that morning, I was already settling into "coach" mode. Once he calmed down, I set Mac up on the kitchen table so I could get a better look at his mouth. I saw bleeding from the upper and lower gums, but I needed to get a better look. 

"Okay Macky, I just need to take a little look at your teeth again, buddy." 

And then something crazy happened. Mac started whimpering and holding his jaw with both hands. I immediately had a flashback to when I was coaching college lacrosse and one of my players broke her jaw. I was the first one on the scene to help her, and Mac was acting so similar...

Images of Mac's mouth being wired shut for months flashed before my eyes...and that was right about when I lost it. My vision was suddenly full of black spots, and I was so nauseous I knew I was about join the toddlers by taking my turn to throw up on the kitchen floor.

Poor Mac! I had to leave him up there on that table crying as I lay down on the ground with my knees bent and my eyes closed. "Sorry Macky! Mommy will help you in just a minute! She just needs to lay down for a minute and help her tummy!"

As soon as I could stomach it, I called Ellis and told him I needed to get Mac's face and mouth looked at ASAP. Praise God! He provided everything we needed for Mac to be seen by a very experienced and great doctor. Thankfully, Mac's jaw and teeth were all still in-tact. His lips and nose were pretty swollen, and his top two front teeth were pretty loose, but the doctor said there was a good chance he'd heal up just fine without even needed to see a dentist. Whew!

Mac was so repentant for jumping off of that table! He told me several times, "Mommy, I will never jump off the table again." (He did it again about 2 hours later). He also asked several times, "Mommy, are my teeth gray? Are they still there in my mouth?" (He heard the doctor say that they might turn gray and fall out).

And Mac and Corrie did get one nice surprise out of the deal: Mommy was told to buy lots of popsicles...doctor's orders! Mac devours his popsicles in about four big bites, while Corrie takes forever licking them a thousand times...I would say they disappear faster by melting than by her actually eating them.



As I pondered this whole experience and the strong reaction that occurred inside me, I thought of something I read recently. It affected me so intensely seeing my son suffer. How much more did it hurt the Father to see His Son suffer for our sake? And not only that, but:

"The Father's love was so great for you that it even pleased Him to crush the Innocent One, His Beloved Son, for your transgressions." -Christ's Ultimate Sacrifice, CTO

"But the Lord was pleased to crush Him, putting Him to grief." 
-Isaiah 53:10 NASB 


The more I learn about and experience God's love, the more incomprehensible it becomes!




No comments:

Post a Comment