Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Spice Rack Solution

It's safe to say that for the past 8+ years, the spices/seasonings situation in our house has been pretty much a nightmare. 

We have moved so often, and we always have a lot going on while we are trying to unpack. By the time I get to the box of spices, I usually just pick a cupboard and throw them all into it. I close the cupboard door and decide that everything is fine...until I need a certain spice or seasoning!

Inevitably, something is about to burn or boil over, and I am frantically rummaging through the cupboard as spice bottles are falling down all around me...all while I am desperately trying to find that one spice I need!

When we lived in Front Royal, we had our friend Heather over to eat a few times. Each time she asked if we had red pepper flakes. I would "look" for them the best I could, but each time I would say the same thing. "Well, I could have sworn we had some, but I can't find them anywhere! Sorry."

Before our move to Charlottesville, Heather helped us pack up some of our kitchen in Front Royal. She came over one morning when I was out of town, and she ended up packing the spice cabinet. I got a text from her informing me that she found TWO BOTTLES of red pepper flakes in the cabinet! Man! I knew it!

So anyway, this time around, I was determined to do something different. I looked on Pinterest and amazon for spice organization solutions. I talked to Ellis, and he helped me look too. I am happy to say that I think he found a winner! 

There is a small business on amazon called the Vertical Spice Company (https://www.verticalspice.com/). I have to say that their products are not cheap, but there was truly nothing we could find that compared to the kind of spice rack they offer.

This weekend Ellis and Mac installed our new spice racks. 

And here is the finished product! 

I made soup on Sunday, and all I had to do was slide out the spice rack when I needed something. My nightmare has officially been replaced with my wildest spice rack dreams come true.

Ellis and Mac had a lot of fun doing other "manly" stuff last weekend. While Ellis worked on his getting his desk and computers set up, Mac worked on taking apart his own old computer that Ellis gave him.

On Saturday afternoon Mac got to spend his nap time with Ellis. They spent the hour building 3-D printers.

Not too shabby, Mac! 








No comments:

Post a Comment