Saturday, December 27, 2014

Calf Mountain

Yesterday morning we loaded the kids into the minivan and headed toward the southern end of the Skyline Drive. We had been sick and cooped up inside during the week of Christmas (Ellis tested positive for the flu, and the rest of us have either had colds or a mild version of the flu). By Friday morning, we were all feeling a little better and ready for a bit of fresh air.

Before we pulled out of the driveway, Ellis stopped and said, "We need to pray. My attitude is not good right now." I knew my attitude was not so great either, but I managed to eek out an empty feeling prayer. Christmas had not turned out like I thought it would, and I wanted to hold onto my hardened ungratefulness for just a little bit longer.

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, I wondered how the logistics of everything would all turn out in the end. There was one thing I thought I knew for sure: whatever happened, whether comfortable or difficult, I could trust the Lord and believe that His plans for us would be good.  

Now that Christmas had come and gone, I was struggling to believe. About ten minutes into our drive toward the mountains, our friend Heidi called. She wanted to say hello and hear how our Christmas went. I described how our plans had changed at the last minute because of our illness, and how our visit with family had been cut much shorter than I had hoped. I told her that Christmas had been difficult because of being exhausted from taking care of our sick family. Basically, I complained. 

I once heard an analogy about our hearts that I have remembered often: "If you are holding an open bottle of water and shake it, water will fly out of the bottle. Why does water fly out of the bottle? We are prone to think, "water flew out because I shook the bottle!" However, the Bible points us to the heart of the issue: water flew out because water was in the bottle.

Jesus said that from the abundance of our hearts, our mouths speak (Luke 6:45). What is in our hearts will come out! To put it another way, as our campus minister in college used to say: "You never know what is in your bucket until your bucket gets bumped!" 

I knew that I wanted to believe that God's plans for our family at Christmas would be good no matter what, but I could not deny what came out of my heart when it was shaken by my circumstances: a bunch of complaining and demandingness.

My conversation with Heidi continued, and instead of commiserating along with me, she saw many ways that God had blessed us during Christmas. She reminded me that we had encouraged each other before Christmas to believe in God's goodness, and she said, "Look how He answered our prayers and did what was best for you guys!" 

As she pointed out one blessing after another, I felt a mixture of painful conviction and the refreshing freedom of broknenness. Yes, Your plans for us were indeed so good. Lord, forgive me for my ungrateful and unbelieving heart! 

I said goodbye to Heidi and turned to Ellis. I felt I had done a pretty good job of pretending to be okay, but Ellis knew something was not right. Earlier I had told him that I was fine...just tired from the long week. But now I was ready to be honest. "Honey, I have something to confess." We looked at each other and felt God changing our hearts on the spot. 

We arrived at Calf Mountain, ready to hike and with grateful hearts. The kids were so happy to get outside together, and God blessed us with a really good hike.

Mac got a "Critter Catcher" from the California Vetterleins for Christmas, and he insisted on bringing it along:

Corrie was happy to wear her favorite hat!

The trail began with a hike through a large field, and we soon entered a beautiful wooded path.

Here is Mac taking a rest on a rounded tree branch that looked a perfect little seat:

Though the hike was only a half mile to the top, we wondered if we had the strength to make it. We contemplated turning back, but decided to press on a little bit further. Soon we made it to the summit, and we were rewarded with spectacular views!




We took a break to rest in the grassy field at the top. Davey enjoyed his apple snack!


Soon after we arrived, a couple of other hikers joined us at the top. We enjoyed visiting with them, and Ellis asked them to take a family picture for us. The Lord knows what a gift that was to my heart!


As the leaves fell off the trees in our backyard this Fall, I was delighted to discover that we can see the mountains behind our house. This morning I woke up and saw a beautiful scene outside our kitchen window:

The beauty of the sunrise over the mountains is such a tangible picture to me of how the Holy Spirit continues to transform our hearts when we welcome the Lord's loving discipline.

In those sweet moments of brokenness, it truly feels like a sunrise is bursting anew in my heart!

And every day is another opportunity for a beautiful sunrise.









No comments:

Post a Comment