Friday, December 19, 2014

The Story of Christmas

Yesterday morning was Mac's big debut on stage in his performance of "The Story of Christmas," with the First Baptist Preschool of Charlottesville.

The day before the play, he told me that he was nervous about saying his lines in the microphone on stage. I didn't know he knew about being "nervous" yet. I asked him, "Mac, what does nervous mean?" He said, "Nervous is when something happens that is different what you expect." I thought that was an interesting definition, and I think he is on to something with the word, "expect."

When my expectations are rooted in anything other than God, there is so much uncertainty, and I am always nervous when that happens. If our expectations are in God, we can rest with peace and certainty in His goodness. We can be set free from the fearful kind of nervousness to enjoy the fun, exciting kind of nervous!

So, when the morning of the play came, I spoke to Mac right before he went on stage. "Mac, all you need to do is honor God. That means doing your best for Him. And whatever happens will be good!"

As the kids walked out, Mac found us in the crowd right away and waved excitedly. He loved being front and center and singing the songs with the other kids. It's hard to see Corrie in the video below, but she is in a yellow shirt in the top left of the screen.


Poor Corrie was not quite as thrilled about the whole play. She kept looking for us, but could not find us in the crowd until near the end of the play. When she finally did spot me, she immediatly began crying and saying, "I want my mommy!" over and over. 

It looked like she was singing, but I could see what she was really saying. Poor, sweet little girl! After the play, her teacher had to pick her up and carry her off the stage.  (In the picture below, Corrie is in the second row down from the top, second kid from the right, trying her best to hold it together!)


Needless to say, there was quite a difference between those two kids on stage! 

When Mac's turn to say his lines came, he stood up and spoke so quietly and so fast you could barely even catch a word he said! But he said all of his lines, and he honored God with his very best effort. Great job, Mac! 



When we got in the car afterwards, Mac said, "Mom! I'm not nervous anymore!" I asked him what his favorite part of the play was, and he said, "Saying my lines!" 

I am glad he had a good time! We all did! 

Well, mostly.

Even though it was difficult for her, Corrie endured until the end. She honored God too. We are so proud of you Corrie, and it sure was sweet getting a great big hug from you afterwards!




No comments:

Post a Comment