Monday, December 29, 2014

Monday at the Johns'

This morning I came downstairs to find Mac in Ellis' office. The two of them were putting the finishing touches on the "robot arm" that Ellis bought for Mac.


When Mac opened the package at Christmas, he was immediately filled with dreams and plans of inventions that his "robot arm" would help him create. For example, one of the first items on his list is to "build a robot suit that will fly."

I have noticed that Ellis is careful not to squelch Mac's enthusiasm and genuine belief that he can build whatever he can imagine. When Mac talks about making one of his flying robot suits, Ellis will say, "let's build your robot arm first. You need to build an arm so you can learn how to build a suit."

I also noticed that the suggestion on the box says, "Ages 13+ with intermediate to advanced experience." There were many times that Mac wanted to start working on a new project and leave the arm unfinished. I am grateful for Ellis' perseverance to work with the kids and help them see such a tedious project to completion. It was also fun seeing Corrie take an interest in the robot and help build it, too.

It was pretty fun this morning seeing Mac and Corrie discover what they had made!


Ellis has also been having fun with his own "robot" creation. A little while ago he successfully built his own 3D printer. Pretty Amazing. I thought it was fitting that the kids were playing with their robot while Ellis had his robot in action, too!


While Ellis and the kids were downstairs finishing their robot, I had been in the kitchen looking up bike trails in Charlottesville. I was surprised to discover a reasonable looking route from our house to the church where I go to Bible study on Thursday mornings. 

We decided to check out the bike route with the kids in tow. It was a little cold and rainy, but the kids were pretty cozy and content with their blankets, hot chocolate and snacks :)

Too bad Ellis and I were not faring quite as well against the cold. I suggested turning back at one point, and we decided to go just a little further and then turn around.

Boy am I glad we decided to press on a little more. I have been dreaming of finding a river/lake path here in Charlottesville, and I was so happy to see that the last half of the bike ride is right along the Rivanna River. What a treat!

When we got home, I put Davey down for a nap and gave Mac and Corrie their "straw goggles" that Grandma Vetterlein had given them a while ago. I had been waiting for them get a little older before trying to use them, and it seemed like just the right time. They loved them :)


And that was all just the first part of our day. 

Not too shabby for a regular old Monday at the Johns' :)

No comments:

Post a Comment