Sunday, April 28, 2013

Family hike

Saturday was just one of those beautiful days. Around 9am, Ellis and I looked at each other and said: "Let's do something outside!" How about a hike? Great idea! When? How about now!

So we loaded up the kids and left, taking about 10 minutes to think about planning/packing, etc. Of those 10 minutes of planning, I would say Ellis did all but about 30 seconds of it. I am pretty sure I dressed me and the kids, but it's a blur, really.

We headed up the Skyline Drive and I tried again to remember where in the world that one trail was that we did with the Rocke's over a year ago. Last time I tried to find it, we got just slightly lost...
I realized we were starting off in the wrong parking lot again (I think?), but we just picked a trail and went with it.

I took a picture of the map in the parking lot before we hit the trail. And it's a good thing I did. We actually ended up having to reference it a few times.  

First time hiking with three kids. Mac was having a blast getting to run free:



 A few minutes into the hike he found a "bug friend" (some kind of beetle). Kept that poor thing squeezed up in his closed, sweaty hand as he hiked! I was okay with it as long as he didn't find any tick friends. 

Here we are about half-way through. Notice the orange froggy in the pocket of our baby carrier. Corrie insisted on hiking with her froggy, but after about 6 drops (which she would alert us to by saying, "uh oh my froggy!" always at least 25 yards past where she dropped it) we decided that froggy would be riding with mommy and Davey for the rest of the hike.

Mac picked pretty flowers for Corrie:



As opposed to the last hike, Mac actually got tired this time. Time for some REAL hiking to start for me! Davey and Macky both in tow...felt so good to be active and taking on a physical challenge. That night I actually dreamed that I played soccer and then went to a gym and lifted weights!

After a little while we were ready for a snack break. I put Mac down and said, "Mac, let's look for a nice log for you to sit on to eat your snack...how about that one?" (Pointing to a nice-sized log just off the trail). "Oh yes!" Mac said, and then ran over and sat down on this "log"pictured below.

We helped him and Corrie find a little bit bigger log.They ran over and sat on it together like this and shared their snacks. Pretty cute :)



On the way back home Ellis suggested we have a lunch treat at our favorite burger place. Sounded like a great idea! It pretty much was a great idea. We even got to eat outside where there was a fish pond. Mac and Corrie didn't eat much, as it was way too much fun to put sticks in the water and pretend that they were fishing.

Davey was such a great little trooper on his first hike. Even sat with us so nicely while we enjoyed our meal.

Things were cut a little short though, when a lady came over and said: "Whose little boy is that with the red hair?" Oh man. "Uh, mine?..." I wondered what this lady was going to say next. "Well, he's peeing himself."

Sure enough, I looked over and there was Mac, standing awkwardly with soaked shorts. Thankfully I had stocked the car with spare clothes when I started potty training, but unfortunately I hadn't updated the stock in over a year. (Yes, we've been potty training for that long). Mac ended up having to wear a pair of 18-month-sized girl pants (see below), but that didn't slow him down a bit. Right back to the fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment