Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Roommates

I've never been real good with change. If I had it my way, everything would stay exactly the same, all the time. How gracious of God, to have allowed so many changes in my life. It seems like change, no matter how small, disrupts my little world and makes me reach for Him, reminding me that my primary source of comfort and security is always Him. And the most amazing thing of it all: He never changes.

Well, a few days ago we moved Corrie and Mac into the same room so that Davey could have his own room (Corrie's old room). I have been putting this change off big-time, both mentally and in reality. I am so glad God has placed Ellis as our leader in our home, and when he said it was time, I knew it was good to follow his lead. And I must say, Mac and Corrie's room turned out to be pretty sweet!




Of course we've had a few growing pains with this new change. Mac found a new way to get in and out of bed, which of course I had to discipline even though in my heart I would have loved to be doing the same thing if I were in his shoes!





The first night was a bit of a trial, as the kids were up waaaaaaaaay past their usual bedtime. Corrie actually did a good job of staying in her bed, and I only caught Mac out once (he tried to run back in bed before I could see him, but I caught him red-handed on the camera!) They did stay up late talking. I let that slide.

And I do love Davey having his own little room...makes him seem so grown up!

There is a sweet little corner where we put his changing table, and it has become a special little sanctuary from the busyness of the day. I discovered when Mac was about this age that the repetitive tasks of changing diapers, laying them down to sleep for naps, etc. are great chances to memorize scripture. Each time Davey and I are together in our little corner, we spend a little time in 1 Timothy. Special little bits of time being in God's presence together.

Of course, the biggest concern of mine with this whole change has always been the sleep factor. The last thing I want to deal with these days is less sleep, for me or the kids. I was concerned about Corrie. Mac is up and ready to go at the crack of dawn, whereas Corrie is more like me: she likes to sleep in. How was that going to work with them in the same room?

Well, on the first day they were both up before 7am. They both know to stay in their rooms in the morning until we come to get them, but on this morning I saw them both walk out of their room together, holding hands. It was so cute I almost didn't want to discipline them...but I did.

The next day I awoke to the sound of Corrie crying. I went in the room to see Mac in her bed saying, "Corrie, stop crying!" I put Corrie in our room and went in to talk to Mac.

"Mac, you cannot wake Corrie up, and you must not get in her bed. You must stay in your bed."

"But Mommy, I didn't wake her up, I didn't!"

"What did you do?"

"Well I just went in her bed and put my fingers in her ears and then I put her pillow and blanket on her head and then I pulled them off!" 

We had a pretty stern talk about staying in his own bed and not going in Corrie's bed in the morning. Well, this morning, day 3, I went in and this is what I saw:

"What are you guys doing?"

"Oh mommy Corrie brought her pillow and blanky in my bed and we are just playing games together!"

I think I'll let that one slide, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment