Monday, May 13, 2013

Foiled

Being that we live in-town and very close to the main park, the ice cream truck literally drives down our very own street in the Spring/Summer. That strange ice cream truck music blaring throughout our neigborhood has a pied piper effect on the kids. "Mommy...Do you hear that sound?!!!," they say as they walk to the door/window - as if being pulled in a trance. So far, I have been able to keep things exciting for Mac and Corrie by telling them, "the "music" truck is here! Wow, what cool music! Let's listen to it!" And then I quickly shut the door/blinds afterwards, as I have noticed that if the ice cream man gets even a scent of child-interest, he will stop and park his truck in front of the house!

Ok, so I am making all of this pretty dramatic. I just don't want to deal with the begging for 3.00 popsicles all summer. Sadly, my well-laid plans were foiled the other day. We started hearing that familiar funhouse/clown horror film type music slowly approaching our street. Ellis happened to be home, and he thought it was the most exciting thing ever. "Honey? Do you hear that? Is that an ICE CREAM truck? Is it coming here? Hurry!!! Get some money!" 

Oh man. Well, what could I do? Corrie was still sleeping, and by now Ellis had found Mac and they were both filled with anticipation. It ended up being a very sweet moment between the two of them, and Mac was overjoyed to find that Spiderman Popsicles exist.





Another amusing note from that day: I had the very unexpected gift of being able to spend a little time in the mountains.

When I came home, I saw Ellis had the lawnmower out. Our landlady decided to have a man come and spray our lawn for weeds a few weeks ago. I am not sure she realized that our yard is about 98% weeds. So now we have two or three little patches of grass here and there...I could not help but find it so hilarious that Ellis got the huge riding lawnmower out for those little patches. 

And a couple other cute notes:

Corrie is starting to take initiative with caring for Davey. She was playing with him and "cleaning" his spit up with a towel she got from the kitchen. I won't take time to describe her face-cleaning technique, bless her little heart.

Oh, and a song we sang in church yesterday: if you haven't heard it, it's pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment